Skip to City of Adelaide content
our online payment systems including ePathway will be unavailable Monday,15 April, from 9:00pm to 11:30pm. Please try again after this time.p>
Call (08) 8203 7203

Getting Started

Creating your own business is an exciting time but it can also be a daunting one. We offer a range of services to get you on the right track and help build your business skills and confidence

Thinking of starting a city-based business? Speak to one of our business advisors today.Thinking of starting a city-based business? Speak to one of our business advisors today.

Business Planning Information

There are both Federal and State websites that offer business planning tools and information for starting a business.

Council Approvals

If you are leasing premises, please also review the sections on approvals, permits and licences as you may need approval to operate your business in that location. Also visit locations and leasing for the leasing checklist prior to signing anything.

Grants and Financial Support

If you are a job seeker interested in starting and running a small business, you might be eligible for assistance through the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS). NEIS can provide you with accredited small business training, business advice and mentoring, as well as ongoing income support for up to a year.

As a business owner, the financial responsibility of your business lies with you. It’s important to have a sound understanding of your business finances. Improve your financial knowledge at

If you are seeking business finance, whether you need finance for starting or growing a business or just to help with cash flow fluctuations, the information at can get you on the right track.

If you are looking for a government grant, all available grants can be searched via the Federal Government Grant Finder.

Do your Research

It is imperative that you conduct a feasibility study of the potential of any business before you get started.

Observation is very powerful for the location of a retail store for example, as you can personally see customers walking past, traffic moving along the street and the location of the sun during morning, afternoon or lunch periods. The location of city offices nearby can have a big impact on your sales and profit.

Consider the customers walking past to see if they match your target market segments. The city offers more than 122,000 workers and 100,000 visitors daily, more than 20,000 city residents, tourists and thousands of students enrolled at the many city campuses. Are they in Rundle Mall, walking through arcades or browsing shop windows along one of the city main streets?

Have a look at your competitors nearby. What range of products do they have? What is their pricing structure? Are your products sufficiently different? Is your location better? Check out their website to see their customer offer and special deals. What are their strengths and weaknesses?

Consider parking options if your customers need to pick your products. Are there street parking options or car parking stations nearby? Do you need loading and unloading options close to your shop? Have some business associates look at the shop and ask questions because they could raise some issues without having an emotional attachment to the site. Also take time to talk to neighbouring shop owners about doing business there. 

City of Adelaide can help you with information on the city, its sectors, its precincts, demographic statistics and major developments. We also offer research services.

Designed to assist small business operators, the ABS Small Business Portal can help with market research, profiling customers and planning a business case. Links are provided to relevant ABS data, training, consultancy services and other useful information.

Business Name Registration

To register your business name, go to the Australian Securities & Investment Commission.

Registering a Trademark

To register a trademark, go to IP Australia.

Obtaining an Australian Business Number (ABN)

To obtain an ABN contact the Australian Tax Office

Independent Contractors

Also known as subcontracting or contracting, an independent contractor is someone who is self-employed and provides services to clients. It’s important to know whether you’re an independent contractor or an employee so you can be sure you’re getting the right entitlements. Visit Fair Work Australia to find out where you stand.

STAY UPDATED: Sign up to receive monthly newsletters

Small Bars

Planning to open a small licenced venue in the City?  Contact our Business Advisors to arrange a meeting. Also see the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI). DPTI have a free case management service which simplifies the current complex assessment and licensing processes as well as offering advice and assistance from the initial planning stage through to the opening of premises.

If you are involved in a business that will sell or supply alcohol to consumers, you have the responsibility to do this in accordance with the Liquor Licensing Act 1997. For information on Liquor Licensing visit the Liquor Licensing Information. 

Online Food Safety Training

I'm ALERT Food Training

You can access FREE online Food Safety Training here. Training is completed online in your own time and you can select the modules that most suit what you need to understand for your position working in the Food industry.

Modules are presented with short easy to understand videos ranging from 1-5 minutes and aim to develop the required skills and knowledge to ensure the safety of food for customers.

At the end of some modules are short educational games to help consolidate learning. PDF’s are also made available with some modules to assist with reporting in the workplace for things such as Temperature Recording of foods.

There are 24 modules to choose from with topics including:

  • Foodborne Illness
  • Food Handling Skills and Knowledge
  • Temperature Control
  • General Duties of Food Businesses
  • Food Transportation and Food Display
  • Potentially Hazardous Food
  • Contamination of Food


  • There is no limit to the amount of times you can access the training however if you wish to receive the training acknowledgement form and certificate you will need to select all sections and complete the quizzes in one session.
  • Alternatively you can select a few of the sections, view the selected sections, complete the quizzes for the selected sections and receive the training acknowledgement form only (not the certificate) indicating the sections you just completed.
  • You can then enter the site again later and select sections you have not viewed and complete them and print another training acknowledgement form.
  • Please Note: The system will not remember any of the settings or sections you completed in the previous session.

Start your online Food Safety training today.

Food Safety Australia

Food Safety Australia is a registered training organisation and has a number of online courses available to help people in the food industry comply with legal requirements and be educated in food safety requirements.

Current courses available include: Food Safety Supervisor Course, Food Handlers Certification, Safe Food Handling and Food Safety Audit Preparation Course.

Tourism Businesses

The South Australian Tourism Commission (SATC) is committed to growing the state's tourism industry, and works industry to support tourism growth.

The Australian Tourism Data Warehouse is a central storage and distribution facility for tourism industry product and destination information. Complimentary resources include a tourism e kit to provide information to Australian tourism operators to help them make the most of online opportunities.


The ACCC offers useful information and also sponsors free franchise training for prospective franchisees.

Business Rights and Obligations

The ACCC offers a free online education program designed to help small businesses learn more about their rights and obligations under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

To determine whether any products you wish to sell are regulated or safe to sell, contact the Product Safety Australia (a division of the ACCC).

Safework SA is the state government agency responsible for administering South Australia Work, Health & Safety Act and Industrial Relations laws. As an employer, you are legally obliged to protect the health, safety and welfare of your workers and other people who could be adversely affected by work carried out by your business under the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (the OHSW Act).  For more information call 1300 365 255.

Fair Work Australia has resources to help you through the employment lifecycle, including hiring new staff, managing your employees and ending the employment relationship.

The  Office of the Small Business Commissioner provides services where disputes can be resolved with as minimal stress as possible to small business operators.

Back to Top

We are currently trialing a new and improved homepage.

If you would like to continue, choose ’OK’

Thank you for trying the beta homepage.
Please take our survey to share your thoughts and feedback.