Skip to City of Adelaide content
our online payment systems including ePathway will be unavailable Monday,15 April, from 9:00pm to 11:30pm. Please try again after this time.p>
Call (08) 8203 7203

Local Nuisance

What is a Local Nuisance?

Local Nuisance is described in the Local Nuisance and Litter Control Act 2016 (Act) as being "any adverse impact on the amenity value of an area, which unreasonably interferes with, or is likely to unreasonably interfere with, the enjoyment of that area by people in that area". 

Local Nuisance examples may include:

  • Dust
  • Land Clearing (exposed surface)
  • Construction, building and or demolition works
  • Roadworks
  • Activities being carried out around a domestic premises (Landscaping)
  • Smoke
  • Backyard burning
  • Open wood fires
  • Solid fuel (combustion) heaters
  • Extraction units
  • Vibration
  • Noise
  • Construction
  • Air conditioning
  • Compressors
  • Domestic Pool Pumps
  • Power Tools and Machinery
  • Odour
  • Dirty or poorly maintained waste bins
  • Uncovered compost heaps
  • Rotting vegetation or food scrapes 

For extra information please read on:

What do Council consider when investigating a Local Nuisance?

  1. Does the Local Nuisance adversely affect the amenity of the area and reduce the ability of people to enjoy the indoor and outdoor environment?
  2. Is the Local Nuisance adversely affecting the health of the community? 

How can you reduce or mitigate a Local Nuisance generating activities?

  • Schedule activities that may create a Local Nuisance within allowable hours.
  • Consult and communicate with surrounding premises/residents on the activity to be undertaken
  • Undertake all precautions to reduce the potential of the activity to cause a Local Nuisance

How to report a Local Nuisance?

Speak to Person
Initially you should try and discuss your concerns with the people (e.g. neighbours) from where the nuisance is coming from as they may not even be aware of the effect they are having on others. This is often the quickest way to find a solution.

Contact the Body Corporate
If the nuisance is coming from premises which is subject to the rules and regulations of a Body Corporate or Strata Group, you will need to contact the Body Corporate or Strata Group directly to seek a resolution as the nuisance is likely to be a breach of their rules and regulations.

Reporting a Nuisance during Business Hours
Between Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm. Please contact the Council on 8203 7203 or email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) with as much information as possible. 

Reporting a Nuisance After Hours
To report a nuisance outside of Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm, please contact SA Police on 131 444 if you require action at that time. Alternatively please contact Council during business hours to report the nuisance.

If the Nuisance is Serious
If the nuisance has the potential for serious or material environmental harm you should contact the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) directly on 8204 2004 24/7 or email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

{widget:page-reveal theme="light" group="Group 1"}

Notices of Exemption

Back to Top

We are currently trialing a new and improved homepage.

If you would like to continue, choose ’OK’

Thank you for trying the beta homepage.
Please take our survey to share your thoughts and feedback.