Skip to City of Adelaide content
our online payment systems including ePathway will be unavailable Monday,15 April, from 9:00pm to 11:30pm. Please try again after this time.p>
Call (08) 8203 7203

Other Approvals, Permits & Licences

If you’re a first-timer looking to start a business or you are looking to expand, we know it might be daunting to get your head around the required approvals. Contact a Business Advisor to help you through the process.

If you have found business premises we advise you not to sign a lease without discussing it with us first to determine its suitability, as in many cases you will need Development Approval.

All fixed signs will require Development Approval. The use of moveable signs (A-Frames & T-Frames), do not require a permit if certain conditions are met. Find out more in Objects On Footpath.

Development Approval

If you are intending to undertake any of the following activities, you will need to obtain Development Approval from Council before commencing the work:

  • Alter a building
  • Erect a sign on the building
  • Change the current use of a property
  • Any external alteration (and in some case also internal alterations) of a listed heritage item

Find out if you need Development Approval prior to starting any building work.

Health Regulations

Food premises are regularly inspected and must comply with food safety standards. If you want to start or purchase a food business you must lodge a food business notification form, and you are advised to read and fully understand standards and assessments around food and drink safety.

Food Premises and other businesses such as hairdressers, body piercing studios and beauty salons must also comply with Public Health Regulations, for which Safe and Hygienic Practice guidelines apply.


Permits are also required for some business activities. Common ones are listed below however other business activity such as busking, business promotions, flags and banners, media production and running fitness classes also require a permit.

Find out if your activity requires a permit

  • Sandwich board signs and other objects on footpath
  • Outdoor dining
  • Street trading
  • Building signage
  • Home-based business
  • Food Premises
  • Trade Waste

Food premises require a discharge permit from SA Water.

Over Sized Loads/Vehicles

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) now manages the access of all heavy vehicles to ensure a safe, efficient and sustainable road network for industry. The NHVR coordinates a range of access applications from start to finish, liaising directly with road managers (both state and territory road authorities and local government) to manage applications and issue permits.

For new access permits, to renew existing access permits, or to amend/cancel an access permit, please direct all enquiries to the NHVR website applications and forms. Visit

Licensed Premises and Entertainment Venues

Small licensed venues require a liquor licence from the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner. The Department of Planning Transport and Infrastructure provide a case manager for this process.

Occupational and Trade Licences

If you need to apply for, or renew occupational and trade licences please visit Consumer and Business Affairs.

Back to Top

We are currently trialing a new and improved homepage.

If you would like to continue, choose ’OK’

Thank you for trying the beta homepage.
Please take our survey to share your thoughts and feedback.