Facade Improvement Incentive (FII)
The Facade Improvement Incentive (FII) provides generous grants to assist property owners with improving the street appeal of their unlisted pre-WWII historic character buildings within the CBD and North Adelaide commercial precincts.
First FII Funded
Situated at 227-229 Rundle Street are a pair of historic character two-storey shops. Originally part of a larger group, the remaining shops had been unsympathetically altered over the years.
As an unlisted character building, 229 Rundle Street qualified for the Façade Improvement Incentive (FII) which assisted the owner with the reinstatement of the missing façade detail as part of their larger refurbishment of both retail properties.
Under the guidance of Studio Nine architects, the project has seen the verandah and facades matched across both buildings.
FII provided $30,000 towards the project.
Why Facade Improvements?
- Declutter and refresh the look of your facade
- Improve the street appeal of your building
- Reveal a historic facade that has been hidden for many years
- Help businesses attract customers
- Enhance the marketability of the local business area
- Address building code compliance issues
What projects are funded?
- Removing cladding which conceals historic facades
- Reinstating lost elements such as verandahs, windows or architectural details
- Removing paint from previously unpainted stone or brickwork
- Painting or lighting of facades
- Decluttering signage
- Supplementary building compliance work
- Open all year-round
- 75% of building works up to $30,000
- 100% of professional advice and documentation costs up to $10,000
- Grants over $30,000 may also be considered by council on merit
For more information contact the Heritage team to discuss possible projects
Phone: (08) 8203 7185